World Record attempt to stage the World’s Largest Multi-Venue Pub Quiz
The Great Ulster Pub Week will kick off on Thursday 1st May 2014 with a World Record attempt to stage the World’s Largest Multi-Venue Pub Quiz.
The daring attempt, which is being undertaken by Pubs of Ulster in association with Downtown Radio and children’s charity, Cash For Kids, aims to beat the current record for the World’s Largest Simultaneous Quiz of 2,679 participants in 39 venues.
Over 30 pubs across Northern Ireland have already signed up for the exciting multi-venue event, with more expected to join the roster in the run up to the event on Thursday. From Belfast to Bangor, Donaghadee to Draperstown, Irvinestown to Portrush and towns and cities across Northern Ireland, the public can play their part in this historic World Record attempt.
The Great Ulster Pub Week World Record Attempt Quiz will be broadcast live on Downtown Radio from The Errigle Inn, Belfast at 10pm on Thursday 1st May 2014, with participating pubs tuning in to take part in the same quiz at the same time.
Commenting on the exciting event, Colin Neill, CEO, Pubs of Ulster said: “The Great Ulster Pub Week is all about celebrating what’s Great about Northern Ireland’s pubs – from great food and drinks to great entertainment and great craic. Quizzes are one of the things our pubs do best, so we’re delighted to join forces with Downtown Radio to host this ambitious World Record attempt, in aid of Cash for Kids.
“We’re offering a real opportunity for people right across Northern Ireland to come together and make a little piece of history – we hope the public will come out in force to join us as we go for this exciting World Record attempt.”
People wanting to take part in the Great Ulster Pub Week World Record Attempt Quiz should sign up at a participating pub of their choice. Entrance costs £18 per team, with a maximum of six people per team – all entrance fees will be donated to Cash For Kids to support the charity’s great work across Northern Ireland.
In addition to being crowned the overall victor live on air, the winning team will receive a VIP trip to The Guinness Storehouse in Dublin. Other prizes will be awarded to runners-up in each of the participating pubs.
Mark Mahaffy, regional managing director, Downtown Radio/ Cool FM said: “Downtown Radio is delighted to add its weight and six county coverage to this exciting attempt at a world record.
“As the only local commercial radio station to cover all of Northern Ireland, we’re hoping that our listeners will get involved all over the country to support this effort, and, in doing so, help raise funds for our charity, Cash For Kids.”
Stuart Robinson, acting programming controller, Downtown Radio added:
“We are delighted to be involved in a world record breaking attempt and can’t wait to hear how it comes across live on air. Downtown remains the only commercial radio station to cover the entire province, so if we are successful this will be truly a Northern Ireland wide effort.”
People wanting to enter a team to be part of The Great Ulster Pub Week, should contact the official venue of their choice.
The Great Ulster Pub Week World Record Multi-Venue Pub Quiz attempt participating pubs:*
· Bureau by the Lough, 637 Shore Road, Newtownabbey, Co. Antrim. Tel: 028 9086 6111
· Drummond Hotel, 2 Main Street, Ballykelly, Co. Derry/Londonderry. Tel: 028 7772 2121
· Fa’ Joe’s, 25 Market Street, Lurgan, Co. Armagh, Tel: 028 3834 2335
· Freil’s Bar / Rafters, 2-4 Kilrea Road, Swatragh, Co. Derry/Londonderry, Tel: 028 7940 1206
· Grace Neill’s, 33-35 High Street, Donaghadee, Co. Down, Tel: 028 9188 4595
· Hagan’s Bar, 39 Irish Street, Dungannon, Co. Tyrone, Tel: 028 8772 2628
· Kiery’s Bar, 38 Main Street, Donaghmore, Co. Tyrone, Tel: 028 8776 1932
· Madden’s Bar, 51-53 High Street, Antrim, Co. Antrim, Tel: 028 9446 2177/ 028 9446 9066
· Mayfly Inn, 16 Main Street, Kesh, Co. Fermanagh, Tel: 028 6863 1281
· McBride’s On The Square, 1-3 The Square, Comber, Co. Down, Tel: 028 9187 1744
· Molly Browns Kitchen and Bar, 45/47 South Street, Newtownards, Co. Antrim, Tel: 028 9182 1444
· Necarne Arms, 2 -4 Church Street, Irvinestown, Co. Fermanagh, Tel: 028 6862 1572
· Railway Arms, 53 Railway Place, Coleraine, Co. Antrim, Tel: 028 7034 2391
· Saddle or Sail Inn, 55/57 Castle Street, Killough, Co. Down, Tel: 028 4484 1419
· The Anchor Bar, 87-89 The Promenade, Portstewart, Co. Antrim, Tel: 028 7083 2003
· The Botanic Inn, 23/27 Malone Road, Belfast, Co. Antrim, Tel: 028 9050 9740
· The Bush Tavern, 15-17 Market Street, Ballymoney, Co. Antrim, Tel: 028 2766 3167
· The Coachman, 58 Rainey Street, Magherafelt, Co. Derry/Londonderry, Tel: 028 7963 3527
· The Countryman Inn, Grove Road, Ballymena, Co. Antrim, Tel: 028 2564 4814
· The Diamond Bar, 2 High Street, Ballymoney, Co. Antrim, Tel: 028 2766 2561
· The Errigle Inn, 312-320 Ormeau Road, Belfast, Belfast, Tel: 028 9064 1410
· The Glen Bar, 26-28 Dungiven Road, Londonderry, Co. Derry/Londonderry, Tel: 028 7134 8808
· The Head O’ The Road, 39 Clantilew Road, Breagh Lower, Portadown, Co. Armagh. Tel: 028 3885 1322
· The Huntsman Inn, 8 Castle Street, Comber, Co. Down, Tel: 028 9181 7777
· The Jamaica Inn, 180 Seacliff Road, Bangor, Co. Down, Tel: 028 9147 1610
· The Market Inn, 25 St Patrick’s St, Draperstown, Co. Derry/Londonderry, Tel: 028 7962 8250
· The Parlour Bar, 4 Castle Place, Newtownards, Co. Down, Tel: 028 9182 0212
· The Poet Bar and Grill, Kings Square, Kings Road, Belfast, Co. Down, Tel: 028 9040 1248
· The Quays Bar, 63 Eglinton Street, Portrush, Co. Antrim, Tel: 028 7082 3889
· The Spaniard, 3 Skipper Street, Belfast, Belfast, Tel: 028 9023 2448
· The Wallace, 88 Bridge Street, Lisburn, Co. Antrim, Tel: 028 9264 1155
· The Windrose, 5 Rodgers Quay Carrickfergus, Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim, Tel: 028 9335 1164
· Whitecliff Inn, 2 Chester Avenue, Whitehead, Co. Antrim, Tel: 028 9337 8309
*This list is correct at the time of issue; check www.downtown.co.uk/pubquiz for a map of participating pubs, which will be updated as further venues come on board.
The Great Ulster Pub Week (1-9 May 2014) will be the biggest pub centric multi-venue event seen in Northern Ireland and will showcase all that’s ‘Great’ about the Ulster pub. Over 160 pubs from right across Northern Ireland are signed up to be part of the exciting pub celebration, with hundreds of unique events showcasing great food, great entertainment and great craic set to take place.
From live music, magic, theatre productions, poetry readings and pub quizzes to arts & crafts workshops, film screenings and charity challenges, The Great Ulster Pub Week will offer a diverse array of events that’s sure to surprise and delight pubgoers across Northern Ireland. The Great Ulster Pub Week is supported by the Northern Ireland Tourist Board, Coca Cola, Coors Light, Guinness, Harp, Heineken, Jameson and Tennent’s, with media partners, Downtown/Cool FM, Hospitality Review NI and The Sunday Life.
A special promo video, filmed by local filmmaker, Ben Price and sound tracked by local band, Pretty Child Backfire can be viewed at Youtube.com/greatulsterpubweek